Monday, January 16, 2012

Update with Karen and Coleen in Chuchipaca

Today, Karen and Coleen met with the ladies in Chuchipaca. For those of you who have not seen the previous posts, Karen is from Kansas and she works with Fair Trade. She has met with the ladies on two other occasions to see if there was a possibility of working with them and buying their crafts.

I went to see Karen and Coleen last night in Panajachel and we enjoyed dinner on the lake. It was a great evening. Then about 3am, I became very sick. I had to cancel traveling with them to Chuchipaca but the driver knew the way so the meeting would continue.

Later Juan called and told me that the ladies were very pleased with what had happened. Karen also called and is pleased with the efforts of the ladies. There is always room for improvement and the the ladies seem to understand. Now they have a new project to complete before Karen returns again.

I will post some of Karen's photos when I get them. I am very thankful that there are ladies as Karen and Coleen who want to be sure that there is active Fair Trade and that the artisans receive wages by the hour of their work. I am excited that the ladies of Chuchipaca are able to experience this opportunity.

For more of Karen's story, please check out her site at http://www.educationandmore.org/

No comments: