Monday, November 17, 2008

Article by Jala about Guatemala

I want to share this article written by Jala who recently visited Guatemala for the first time. When I took this photo of her and her dad in Chuchipaca, she had not written the article yet.



Guatemala
I have a vivid memory of my dad coming
home from a medical mission trip to
Guatemala when I was 5 years old and
wanting to someday be a part of that ministry.
In April, I graduated from OC with a
nursing degree and immediately made plans
to be a part of last week’s medical mission
trip to Guatemala. The MRCC team consisted
of Dr. Robert & Donna Lamb;
Jack & Wynonna Skaggs; Dr. Barry
Mitchell; Greg Holder RN; Cheryl Bode
RN; Pancho Hobbes; my dad, Dr. Mike
Herndon; and me. We joined the efforts of
several other healthcare workers, volunteers,
and missionaries from Health Talents
International.
I didn't know what to expect on my
first trip. I knew I would see a different culture,
but what I didn't realize was how my
heart would be changed. The contrast of
working in a modern ICU, to running a
mobile clinic in a small village with minimal
resources, was very eye opening. As
people lined up and received the care they
needed, you could see genuine gratefulness
on their faces. It was20challenging to see
the conditions the Guatemalans live in, and
yet it was inspiring to see how happy they
are with what little they have. In three days
we were able to serve the medical and dental
needs of over 800 people.
I would encourage anyone who h as a
similar passion and desire like mine to
come join this effort on our next trip. May
God bless our Guatemalan brothers and sisters
and the Lord's work being done there.
Jala Verner RN

No comments: