Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mactzul V

The doors were opened and the patients were waiting for us this morning. We had 10 patients and then waited.....and waited but no others arrived.

While we were waiting, I sat outside in the sun and studied some K'iche'. Some of the children who live nearby have always been scared to get too close. They would stay up on their hill and not talk to us. If too much attention was directed at them, they would run. Last month I had my tennis ball and coaxed them into playing a little. That was a big step for them. Today they actually came and sat on a pew with me and helped me with some K'iche' words. I would say the word in K'iche' and then they would say the word in Spanish. I was so excited that they could understand me.....it is the little steps that I find so exiting!

Tomorrow morning is English class. I am hoping for 11 students. We will review their last homework and practice on new sentences. They will have a lot of opportunity to practice with the MET students when they are here.

No comments: