Saturday, January 26, 2013

Snow in Guatemala!!

I realize that I have been very cold the last few days but I did not realize that there has been snow here.  This photo was taken in Ixchiguán, San Marcos. This area is farther north, between Quetzaltenango and Huehuetenango. The snow fell yesterday.  It was just a dusting but very significant for Guatemala.

The meaning of the name, "Quetzaltenango", is the place of the quetzal bird.  It is the national bird of Guatemala.  The meaning of the name, "Huehuetenango", is the place of the ancestors.

I am not sure what this lady molded with the snow......if it is a traditional snowman or a quetzal bird........but I am sure that she enjoyed herself!


3 comments:

Kemmel and Lisa Dunham said...

Can you imagine what the driving conditions were like???!!!

Cheryl said...

Wow! I never thot about them ever getting snow. Anyway, glad I wasn't there, I probably would not have had warm enough clothes. Love your stories and pics. The dyed teeth was great. May have to try that some time. However, I not too sure.... Love you, Miss you, think of you often.

Alice B. said...

Wow!!! This is remarkable!
-Alice