Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blog by Haleigh

I asked the MET students to write a blog if they have something special happen to them. Sometimes, special events take place and they like to share it. Haleigh wants to share with you what happened today in Clinica Caris.
Today I witnessed why Health Talents really exists.

Before today, I thought that the primary reason was to build a clinic in a third world country and to provide health care for those who need it the most. But today a perfectly, healthy 21 year-old guy showed me something different.

This guy, Axel, came to Clinica Caris because he was taking some kind of pills every day since his dad, died 3 years ago. He wanted to stop taking them but couldn't. Dr. Ruben quickly explained to me that Alex was really here because he needed someone to talk to. As Ruben began to explain to him how to stop taking the pills, I could feel the tears pile up in my eyes as I thought, "This is what we are here for." It was just about then that Ruben leaned over and said, "I am preaching now."

Ruben went to get Marcos and although I did not understand more than ten words, I knew what was going on. Axel was so interested in what was being said. After about 20-30 minutes, I could feel God's arms wrapped around us. Marcos asked if we could pray and then we locked hands. Axel does not know God but as we prayed, he said, "God, I need you. I need your help." I choked back tears as I prayed that God would draw Axel close.

As our time together ended, I was left amazed. I had just seen someone searching for something to fill a void in his life. Something better than pills. He came to the clinic to hear about God, who would not only will a void but could also give him peace and love. What a mighty God we serve!

What an awesome and powerful message we have the opportunity to share.

This is what we are here for. I do not know what will become of this patient but I do know that you should join me in praying for Axel and others like him that are lost and searching in this world. After all, this is what we are here for.

2 comments:

Alice B. said...

You are so right Haleigh! Thank you for your sharing this powerful message!!! I will be praying for Axel.
Ruben is right.
God Bless you all.
Alice

Lisa Rhoden said...

Haleigh, Soooo enjoyed your post! I know God is working through all of you on this journey! Love hearing the stories, makes it seem real even here at home! Love and continued prayers for your team! Lisa Rhoden